In 1865 a second railway station, referred to as Crystal Palace High Level, was built towards the north end of the park. This allowed the aristocracy to travel separately from the low and middle classes and ensured that they disembarked, through the subway, at the very foot of the Crystal Palace. Due to a significant decline in traffic, no doubt a consequence of the palace burning down, the station was closed in 1954. Though the tracks have subsequently been built over, the subway, stylised with lavish red and cream brickwork, still remains. Despite the subway now being sealed off from the public, remains of the building can still be seen from below the Crystal Palace Parade. It is also opened on occasion to organised visits through the Friends of Crystal Palace Subway.