The structure of the palace took the form of a giant greenhouse, supported by numerous cast iron columns and girders, with panes of glass, 10 inches wide, fitting into an ironwork frame. Three transepts, two added after the relocation, helped define the shape of the glass roof, whilst the timber floorboards were designed with gaps left in between to aid in sweeping dust away.
The reconstruction of the palace began in late 1852, providing work for over 7000 labourers at a time of massive unemployment. As the palace was essentially a giant greenhouse, the majority of the construction material was glass and iron. Over 300,000 sheets of glass were required to fill the ironwork frame, which, placed side by side and laid upon the ground, would have covered an incredible 25 acres. Iron, in the shape of girders and columns, fell in at over 4000 tonnes. That's the equivalent of more than combined weight of 4000 modern cars. It took over two years for them to deconstruct, transport and rebuild the palace, which was completed, along with the park and gardens, ready to be opened in 1854.